Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Recurrence Plots, Smoothing

So, I played around and found the best windows for my smoothing functions for the movement data. Then, I finally got around to creating some recurrence plots. I had received my password in the morning, but it turns out that the command-line rp tool is actually more useful since I'm using relatively large datasets. Plus, it didn't install in octave and since there was already a command-line tool...

One thing I have to figure out is how to combine the 22 MFCCs that I have from the audio data. I was just going to add the data, but this was... INCREDIBLY naive I realized once I thought about it for about thirty seconds. The recurrence plots I'm using are binary. Dur! Anyways, turns out I need to just have them all in one file, and have them as embedded vectors. I am going to do that tomorrow as it is almost 3am. I thought I was so close to more results. Le sigh.

In any case, here is the recurrence plot of the Cage 100 Festival's Variations V movement data:





















And here is the audio data (represented by MFCC's) -- okay so I had to try out the embedding...

Ok, it is still running. My CPU is around 100%, and it is still 0% done. Going to get some tea. I may have to finally sign up for a supercomputer account... or maybe I need to downsample. We see if a miracle happens. It is a lot of data. Like around (4000 * 22)^2 things need to get juggled around.

Tomorrow I will:
Get all the recurrence plots for the MFCCs done
Redo the movement ones, since I need to set the threshold lower
FINALLY run the NCD on all this.

I hope it was all worth it. Because then I need to start my by hand, eye, and ear musical analysis and pull out interesting tidbits from the mass of data. AND THEN, then I need to write the prose and spend hours and hours on my citations and references. I kid you not because I am writing in Chicago style because this is a music history paper, people. And people in the humanities do NOT kid around with citation styles, just compare the detail between IEEE and Chicago -- it is a whole world of detail.

UPDATE @ 3:30am:
3% Done. Well, maybe I'll let this one run the night?

No comments:

Post a Comment