Thursday, September 22, 2022

Computer and parts for computational dino larynx, Prototype 1 notes

My goal is to get some hardware up and running asap for a computational dino larynx. I did let some pure coding/dsp research sort of bottleneck me up on that end, but no more. 

My prototype 1 idea is just this: 
Raspberry Pi 4
Contact mic + usb adaptor to very easily go into raspberry pi as a breath sensor. I've used it as a breath sensor in another project, so it'll be at least good for 1st prototype.
Speakers, TBD -- looking for super cheap ideas for prototype 1, for now, I have headphones, but I want to get this system in a shape PRONTO so that I could install it a skull, so I can start designing and printing skulls. Main problem I see is lower end of the frequency on relatively small speakers -- but there are relatively headphones with good low-end now so I'm guessing there are options...

If I need a better anything, I'll replace as needed. And/or if I get grant money, I'll replace with better. 

I'm strongly leaning towards just using C++ DSP stuff to power my models & probably with Perry Cook's STK to power filters, etc. Or perhaps the related library LEAF. Leaning towards STK, tho, since bc Raspberry Pi runs linux and alsa now is bundled with linux, then it should be compatible. I couldn't find anything specific using STK with raspberry pi, but I think it should relatively painlessly. Also (in what I think is a minority opinion) I prefer coding in C++. It also looks like STK was last updated 7mo. ago or so, which is not terrible. 

I did look at Sid Fel's Artisynth for larynx modeling -- and it is super intriguing. I am definitely interested in it for a later prototype down the road but ultimately decided against it for the time being because the software is married to intel processors, limiting my hardware options if I were to use it (eg, no RPI). 

Anyhow, I am feeling comfortable with my direction finally, since everything is relatively modular and can be upgraded/replaced (incl. code/software) relatively easily.

Also, this looks like a cool library:
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02270792/document

And just a bookmark, schematic for wind instrument from ccrma:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/asahb04/Wind_Instruments.html

No comments:

Post a Comment